Sunday, June 7, 2015

Late Spring Update; Greens Edition

We've been getting ample chard, kale and lettuce for over a month now. Today we cut some of the first cauliflower and broccoli. A few weeks back we had a series of 90-degree days and I was a bit worried about these especially since the best brassicas are grown in the cool temps of the fall. But it looks like we will have a few heads to wet the appetite in preparation for the fall crop.


I've also trialed a new lettuce this year (on left). It is a mini romaine from Johnny's and so far appears to be a winner. I normally stick with leaf lettuce preferring the Johnny's Allstar Gourmet Mix. Of course I will continue with that. But this mini romaine is excellent as it is much easier to clean, harvest and store a compact head. I suspect it will find a prominent place in the weekly lettuce harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment