Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tractor Update; Nesting Boxes

Most of this last weekend was spent building out the nesting boxes for the chicken tractor. So far the design-on-the-fly strategy (with occasional bouts of quick-fix engineering) has worked out pretty well but these boxes are probably the most detailed aspect of the construction and to tell you the truth I was wondering how best to pull it off. Should I build them as a stand alone assembly and then somehow attach them to a hole cut in the back wall? This whole thing was beginning to stretch my limits as a novice carpenter.

Luckily I was checking out some new backyard chicken sites recently and I came across the Coop Thoughts blog. Scrolling down through past posts I hit pay dirt with their entry on how to retrofit a coop with external nesting boxes; exactly what I needed. Of course their dimensions were a bit different then ours and I now have three boxes instead of the two I had originally planned (didn't seem to make sense not to space out three proportionally), but their design looks to be superior to most I've seen so far especially not having the slanted roof as an access door but using the small end panel thus getting around having to completely waterproof the opening.

I'll top off the roof with some of the left over PVC that went on the main roof. This will provide additional overhang against driving rain.




No comments:

Post a Comment